Sunday, August 30, 2015

WEEK 5 - THE WEEK WE LEARNED TO SAY FUNKY THINGS IN JAPANESE

ALOHA!!!

This week marks week five...I think.  We are all pretty confused on which week or day it is unless it's Devotional days or P-day.  We are all pretty sick of the food, like stomach aches.  The elders in our district have resorted to eating the flower petals off the flowers outside where we sit each day.  They say it tastes the same, maybe even better than MTC food.  It's good, yes, but literally salad, wrap or hamburger and fries everyday.

Today was a nice change though.  We went to the temple today at 7 am and we did sealings and got all of the ones mom sent me done!  YESS!   It was such a nice experience though and after we were done we went to the Temple cafeteria!  AHH they had real food and it was seriously the best meal I've had in the last month!  This is just an email about food, I guess.  Last night we all (District 27F) had a neat experience to try Japanese Pickled Plums....WHOA!  Nasty little buggers, like loaded with salt and they were bright (devil) red color.  It was a keiken (experience).

So, every Wednesday night all of the Shimai tachi (sisters) get together in our room and we talk and eat delicious food, such as poptarts, chips and salsa, rice crispies and more.  It's fun to just sit and talk.  We call it P-day Eve.  It's always fun and we have lots of laughs.  There are two sisters, like actual sisters who are twins both going to Japan!  They are in the same district together and it is so cool that they get to see each other before they don't get to for the next 16 months.  They both are hilarious and one of them is named Madeline.

Okay, y'all are going to laugh at me, but oh well.  So the other night I wanted to eat a Dove Chocolate that I had but it was lights out so I had to quickly jump into bed.  I had set the Dove Chocolate on my bed and I forgot that it was there.  The next morning I was blinded (by natural causes) and I looked down and all I could see was this dark brown spot on my bed!  I was so terribly confused.  My Doryo asked, did you "shard "  in the middle of the night?  I found the blue wrapping and I was so tired that I fell asleep before I could even enjoy my chocolate and it melted in my bed... Yeah.

I'm really progressing in the language farther than I every have before.  It's a little rough but I can conjure up my own sentences when we teach and AH it is awesome!  My Doryo struggles a bit with the sentence patterns and for some reason it frustrates me that we move so slow, but then as soon as we get into a lesson she is the one who brings in the spirit and makes our lessons all the difference.  She isn't a fight for yourself kind of girl.  She lets others go before her, very humble, but leans on me and turns to me to ask if things are okay.  I try not to get frustrated, but I want her to think for herself and do things for herself more in the sense that I want her to be strong and I want her to know that she has the power to do anything and doesn't need anybody's permission to do so (except God's).  I know I am here at the MTC for her, to help her realize that she can do anything, that she can do hard things.

One of our teachers pulled me aside one day and wanted to thank me for all that I do for my companion.  She and I looked up scriptures that really touched me.  Such as D & C 123: 16-17 It was just a helpful scripture to show me that I can also do hard things.  I'm trying to be more positive now and that has really helped me.

So our Chorotachi...OH Boy... they are a crazy bunch, but I love them to pieces.  I'm not even sure if it is allowed, but we will look up on the computer that is in our class room to virtually walk around Kyoto, Kobe and Osaka and other parts of Japan, to see where we will be going!

Yesterday was particularly interesting, the Choratachi (Elder's) have recently developed this weird ritual.  They all hold hands, close their eyes and narrate a joint "vision" session.  They visualize the last day in the MTC, how they will stay up all that night, the plane ride to Japan.  It's funny because they go into such detail trying to imagine leaving.  Well yesterday, while they were doing a "vision"  President Stevenson walks in.  I was crying I was laughing so hard and they didn't even know that he had walked in.  President Stevenson looked so absolutely concerned, confused and understanding all at the same time.



I love my boys.  I got the suitcase yesterday and literally the best thing I have ever gotten and it was just food and my favorite clothes.  Oh, and thanks for the penny whistle, now I can impress Wride Chorro with my flute skills.

Sunday night I finally got my picture with Sister Jackman and Sister Merrill!  Ahh!  It was at the choir practice and it was so fun to talk with Sister Merrill.  She's in Russia now and I'm so jealous because she gets to be in the field, her name tag looked sick all in Russian.

I see so many people from Hawaii that yell out "ZOE!" and I feel terrible because a few of them....I DON'T EVEN KNOW THEIR NAMES and I feel so bad!!!  Like this one girl was like, "your Zoe right?"  You were friends with Garrett and this person and that person..."  and I'm like nodding and also thinking why do so many people know my name.  I wore a Seasider shirt yesterday and there were a few Hawaiians from Laie that said Hi, which was cool.

Okay last thing...I'm so glad that you (Liam and Emma) are not old enough to get married while I am gone because this sister just found out that her sister is getting married next week... ahhhh it's sad...don't do it.  I already missed Eric's!

Okay, funky sayings in Japanese:
This morning or every morning:  Kesa mai asa
Long time no see translates to:  Hishibuti  (heseeshbooty)
Oh No, dang it, shoot:  SHIMATTA  Sometimes people say it too fast


Love always,

Oswald Shimai



Madeline serving in Japan, Whitney serving in Russia, Courtney serving in California

District 27

No comments:

Post a Comment